Pound Cake with Basil & Balsamic Strawberries
serves about 16
1 1/2 cups butter, softened (3 sticks)
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In an electric stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until just blended.
2. Add flour to the butter mixture alternatively with buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the vanilla and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Pour the batter into a greased and lightly floured 10-inch tube pan or two loaf pans.
3. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely and serve with Strawberries and fresh whipped cream.
BASIL AND BALSAMIC STRAWBERRIES
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1.5 pounds strawberries, rinsed and sliced
10 large basil leaves, julienned
1. Combine vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in pepper and cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, mix strawberries, basil and balsamic dressing. Serve with pound cake and fresh whipped cream.